![CDATA[ [if IE 9] ]]>
From 1 April 2001 to 31 December 2013, 2,020,647 small-scale installations created valid certificates in the REC Registry.
Of these, 61,376 solar water heaters (solar hot water systems and air source heat pumps) and 220,848 small generation units created valid certificates between 1 January 2013 and 31 December 2013. Of the small generation unit installations, solar panels made up 99.99 per cent, with relatively small contributions by wind and hydro comprising the remaining 0.01 per cent.
During 2013, approximately 4,250 solar water heaters and 15,650 small generation units were installed each month, a decrease compared to approximately 5,790 and 28,600 respectively per month in 2012.
The data presented in graphs 5, 6 and 7 are based on the date the system was installed and were current at 4 February 2014. The 2013 numbers are likely to increase because certificates can be created up to 12 months after the installation date.
Graph 5 represents valid certificates created by solar water heaters. Solar hot water systems accounted for 86 per cent of certificates validated in 2013, while air source heat pumps equated to 14 per cent.
Graph 5: Certificates validated for solar hot water system and air source heat pump installations, 2009 to 2013
Graph 6 represents valid certificates created by small generation units. The total number of small generation units installed in 2013 was 187,837. Of these around
7 per cent, or 13,196 systems, received ‘solar credits’.
The solar credits mechanism was introduced in 2009 to provide an additional financial incentive for solar panel installations by multiplying the number of certificates these systems could create. The mechanism ceased on 30 June 2013.
Graph 6: Small-scale generation units and solar credits, 2009 to 2013
SGUs = small generation units; STCs = small-scale technology certificates
Graph 7 represents the number of solar panel installations registered by state and territory. The greatest number of solar panel installations in 2013 was in Queensland (36 per cent) followed by New South Wales (17 per cent) and Victoria (16 per cent).
Graph 7: Solar panel installations by state, 2009 to 2013
About The Clean Energy Regulator
Carbon Farming Initiative
Carbon Pricing Mechanism
National Greenhouse And Energy Reporting
Renewable Energy Target
Emissions Reduction Fund
Our Systems And Their Resources
Clean Energy Markets
Data and information
Emissions Reduction Assurance Committee
Subscribe to email updates
Information Publication Scheme
Freedom of Information
The Clean Energy Regulator is a Government body responsible for accelerating carbon abatement for Australia.