Under the Clean Energy Act 2011, we must keep a database known as the Liable Entities Public Information Database (LEPID).
Carbon pricing mechanism repeal
The Clean Energy Act 2011 has been repealed. This abolishes the carbon pricing mechanism from 1 July 2014. Liable entities must still meet their carbon price obligations for the 2013-14 financial year.
Content on the Clean Energy Regulator website will be progressively updated to reflect these changes. More information can be found on the carbon pricing mechanism repeal page.
Legal 'persons' will be included in the LEPID if we have reasonable grounds to believe the person is, or is likely to be, a liable entity for the eligible financial year.
Persons are liable entities because they meet criteria specified under the Clean Energy Act 2011, not because their names appear in the LEPID.
We update LEPID on the basis of information made available to us, such as:
- liable entities' reported emissions and emissions unit information
- changes to the list of liable entities due to individual circumstances, for example changes in corporate structure, divestment, and expected changes in activity/emissions, liability transfer or joint ventures, and
- number of surrendered units.
Where we have reasonable grounds to believe that a person is a liable entity, they receive due notice of our intention to add them to the LEPID. They are given an opportunity to respond if they believe they are not, or are not likely to be, a liable entity.
We add new liable entities as information on those entities becomes available. For example:
In addition, we will add the following information as it becomes available:
- Emissions numbers
- Estimate of total emissions
- Unit shortfalls
- Unpaid unit shortfall charges
- Relinquishment requirement
- Unpaid administrative penalties
- Number of relinquished units
- Correction and rectification
For current LEPID details, see the LEPID for the 2013-14 financial year.
The Clean Energy Regulator will continue to update the 2012-13 LEPID as new information becomes available, including revisions of emissions numbers and updates to outstanding shortfall charges.