Issue of Australian carbon credit units
When the project proponent has received a certificate of entitlement, Australian carbon credit units will be issued by the Clean Energy Regulator into the Registry account listed on the certificate of entitlement.
Important information about Australian Carbon Credit Units (ACCUs)
- The Carbon Credits (Carbon Farming Initiative) Act 2011 (the CFI Act) allows for the issue of Kyoto ACCUs or non-Kyoto ACCUs:
- Kyoto ACCUs are issued if the relevant offsets project is an eligible Kyoto project and the reporting period ends on or before the original Kyoto abatement deadlines – 30 June 2012 for emissions avoidance projects and 31 December 2012 for sequestration projects.
- Kyoto ACCUs are issued for eligible Kyoto projects from 21 May 2013 and for reporting periods until 30 June 2020 for emissions avoidance projects and 31 December 2020 for sequestration projects.
- Non-Kyoto ACCUs are issued if the relevant offsets project is an eligible non-Kyoto project, or if the reporting period ends after the original Kyoto abatement deadlines and before 21 May 2013.
- Non-Kyoto ACCUs will be displayed in two ways within an ANREU account – NKACCU eligible and NKACCU voluntary.
- NKACCU eligible are able to be surrendered under the carbon pricing mechanism. NKACCU voluntary are able to be sold on the voluntary market and cannot be surrendered under the carbon pricing mechanism.
Further information is provided in the About Australian carbon credit units fact sheet.
Publication of Australian carbon credit units
Once the Clean Energy Regulator has issued Australian carbon credit units to the Registry account, various details such as the total number of Australian carbon credit units issued and the financial year in which they are issued will be published in the Register of Offsets Projects.
Transactions involving Australian carbon credit units
Project proponents may choose to hold (own) the Australian carbon credit units or enter into the following transactions, rules permitting:
- surrender, and
Refer to the Australian National Registry of Emissions Units' supporting the Carbon Farming Initiative page and the Management of Emissions Units User Guide on the ANREU guidelines page for guidance on these transactions.
For those projects affected by a non-CFI scheme (a prescribed scheme) there is regulatory guidance on the calculation of unit entitlement available at: