The Clean Energy Regulator has adopted the Layered Privacy Notice format1. This document provides you with a succinct overview of how we handle your personal information.
Personal Information Handling Practices
We usually collect personal information about individuals directly from those individuals or their authorised representative.
We sometimes collect personal information from a third party or from a publicly available source, but only if:
- the individual has consented to such collection or would reasonably expect us to collect their personal information in this way, or
- if it is necessary for a specific purpose.
We only collect personal information for purposes directly related to our statutory functions and activities, including the administration of the schemes for which the Clean Energy Regulator is responsible.
Use and disclosure
We use personal information for the purposes for which we collected it - purposes which are directly related to one of our functions or activities.
We do not give personal information about an individual to other Government agencies, private sector organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- the individual has consented
- the individual would reasonably expect, or has been told, that information of that kind is usually passed to those individuals, bodies or agencies
- it is otherwise required or authorised by law
- a “permitted general situation” exists (such as where a disclosure will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody's life or health), or
- it is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of public revenue.
We take steps to protect the personal information we hold against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure, and against other misuse.
If the personal information is not contained in a Commonwealth record (as defined in the Archives Act 1983) and is no longer required, we destroy or delete it or put it beyond use, in a secure manner.
If you are listed on one or more of our media or network email lists you can opt out at any time. You can unsubscribe by using the ‘unsubscribe’ options noted in our emails.
The Clean Energy Regulator is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act. We also have specific provisions in legislation, such as the Clean Energy Regulator Act 2011.
How to contact us
For further information contact the Clean Energy Regulator Privacy Contact Officer by email: CER-Privacy@cleanenergyregulator.gov.au
This page makes up a part of the Clean Energy Regulator Information Publication Scheme.
1. The Layered Privacy Notices format was endorsed by Data Protection & Privacy Commissioners in 2003, further developed in the Berlin Memorandum and endorsed in Opinion WP 100 by the Article 29 Committee of European Data Protection Commissioners.